The MYP Theatre Arts Program approaches theatre through inquiry-based learning. In addition to learning drama skills, techniques and styles, students must make real-world connections and answer a variety of inquiry questions through daily exploration. Some examples include:
- How can we use structure to engage the audience in our performance?
- Does the use of physical theatre techniques in a performance make it more accessible to an audience?
- Can modern-day stories be expressed through ancient theatrical styles?
- How can the skills I use while improvising help me in everyday life?
- How can we use our own identity and personality as inspiration for a masked character?
By learning theatre in this way, students improve their performance abilities, acquire skills that translate to everyday life and allow them to become lifelong learners and inquirers.